Founded and led by a Black woman, our work is guided by her vision for interrupting systems of injustice. Where and how we focus our work is determined by the concerns of the people we organize with – people like us who are system-impacted, multi-generational, BIPOC people traumatized by racial injustice.
Our campaigns are carried out by a team of BIPOC paid staff and volunteers that includes directly impacted people who are using their life experience and strengths to change the narrative and create positive change. Together, we are creating a culture of unity, hope and resilience in people’s lives and communities.
Empowering communities to unapologetically fight to dismantle all systems of injustice throughout Michigan.
We emphasize divesting from and dismantling the criminal legal system in Michigan and its many branches of punishment that show up in schools, reproductive health, courts and other punitive systems.
Values Rooted in Equity
- equitable access to opportunities & resources: We actively fight for an equitable and just legal system rooted in humanity and respect for all
- health & healing: We practice transformative justice by actively cultivating all the things we know prevent violence harm and abuse: accountability, safety, trust, healing and connection
- respect: We recognize the innate equality of every human being and believe the worth of all individuals and communities we meet should be valued and protected
- transparency: We speak truth and encourage healthy conflict
- partnership through listening & building trust: We listen and respond to the needs of our community